Euro-Nymphing (aka tight-line nymphing), originated in Europe and has steadily rose in popularity in the states. Although a much more technical approach, euro-nymphing allows your flies to sink much faster. Nymphing improves the chances of your flies reaching the bottom potentially resulting in greater hook-up ratios. In this tutorial, world-renowned fly fisherman Lance Egan breaks down how to create his signature euro-nymphing leader.
How to Create the Leader:
- Cut roughly 42 inches of 20 lb, 15 lb, and 12 lb fluorocarbon leader material.
- Using a blood-knot, attach the 20 lb and the 15 lb segments together.
- Repeat the same process with the 15 lb and 12 lb segments.
- Cut all tag ends flush to the knots.
- Connect about 18 inches of sighter material to the 12 lb segment using a blood knot.
- Attach a tippet ring to the end of the sighter material using a three turn clinch knot.
- Attach your tippet to the tippet ring using a uni-knot (length may vary).
- Cut about 18 inches of tippet and use a triple surgeons knot to attach the segment to the main segment of tippet.
- Attach your flies and hit the river!
For more in-depth fly fishing tutorials, Check out the Fly Fish Food YouTube channel.