Fly fishing in itself is a complex sport. If you are new to the sport, you may have been overwhelmed by the shear amount of gear that you supposedly “need.” Or maybe you were overwhelmed with all of the intricacies that tend to come with fly fishing. Trust me, you are not alone. That is the beauty of fly fishing. It is complex but once you fall into a rhythm, it is so rewarding and you won’t want to put the rod down. That being said, it is nice to find some extra tips that will make your time on the water more enjoyable. In this tips and tricks video of the week, Seth from Dark Waters Fly Shop breaks down 5 easy fly fishing hacks in under 3 minutes.
5 Fly Fishing Hacks
1. DIY Fly Line Perfection Loop
- Often times welded fly line loops can create issues and often end up cracking. To combat this, simply cut off the welded loop and replace it with a 3 inch piece of 30 pound monofilament. Attach the mono to the fly line using a Blood Knot and then tie a simple perfection loop on the other end of the mono. Now you will have a reliable loop to loop connection between your fly line and leaders.
2. Threading your Fly Line Through Your Eyelets
- Often times threading your fly line through the eyelets of your rod can be a hassle. Luckily we have the answer. Simply fold your fly line over itself and the feed that through the guides. If you accidently let go of the fly line, the doubled loop will catch in the eyelet preventing if from falling out.
3. Avoid Reeling your Fly Line Past your Guides for Rod Storage
- We have all been there, reeling your fly line into your guides can create issues trying to get it back out. For this hack, simply hook your fly on your third guide from the handle and then loop your leader around the back of your reel. There you have it, simple rod storage and your fly line will always stay out of your guides.
4. Creating Sink Tip Extensions on the Fly
- Depending on where you are fishing, river depths can vary drastically. If you are fishing streamers and just aren’t getting the depth that you desire, we have the answer. Take a pack of Airflo Sink Tip Poly Leaders with you on the water and attach with a loop to loop connection to your fly line and you are set.
5. An Easy Bow and Arrow Cast
- The great Joe Humphreys made the Bow and Arrow cast famous but he does it a tad differently than most think you should. The common misconception is that you are supposed to hold the fly when performing this cast. Not the case, simply strip out a desired length of fly line and hold the fly line while the flies hang freely. Pull back and let it fly! Your flies will reach your target and you will avoid a hook in the hand.
There you have it, 5 fly fishing hacks that will cut your time in half and make your trips more enjoyable on the river.
For more tips and tricks, check out the Dark Waters Fly Shop YouTube Channel by clicking here.
Visit their website by clicking here.