Setting up your fly reel can be an intimidating task. Don’t sweat, Mad River Outfitters presents an in depth how-to tutorial on how to effectively set up your fly reel.
- Determine your retrieval style (left hand reel or right hand reel)
- Thread your fly line backing through your reel arbor
- Create a UNI-Knot and cinch the backing tight to the reel arbor
- Load on the appropriate amount of fly line backing to your reel
- Attach your fly line to the backing with a simple nail-knot (variety of tools available for tying nail knots)
- Attach your leader to the end of your fly line
- Tie on a fly and hit the river!
For more information on fly line and backing, click here.
Check out Mad River Outfitters for more in-depth instructional tutorials.