In this week’s “How to Tie” video feature, Cheech with Fly Fish Food ties another European style nymph that anglers should carry in their box no matter the season, the CDC French Jig.
Learn About This Fly:
There is no doubt that over the past few years the European style of nymphing has taken over. Whether it is the rods, line style, or flies, anglers of all backgrounds can at least implement part of the style into their repertoire. The effectiveness is second to none and is just another tool in the quiver to make your time on the water more enjoyable. The CDC French Jig is a European nymphing style fly that you’ll find in most guide boxes and one that you should never head to your local trout river without.
For composition, this pattern is simple yet deadly effective. It includes several materials that are part of all your favorite nymphs including CDC, pheasant tail, and a hot spot. Combined, these materials create a profile that trout simply cannot refuse and will increase your productivity on the water. The most difficult part of the CDC French Jig is the CDC loop, which for novice tyers can be replaced by simply wrapping the CDC feather around the collar.
Throw this fly into your summer dry dropper rig or in a double nymph rig if you want to catch more trout. This is a pattern that will produce in nearly any water where trout live and you’ll be able to quickly tie batches of in your downtime. For variation, you can change the hot spot color to figure out which the trout prefer more in different water. The CDC French Jig is a nymph that all trout anglers should have in their fly box and fish with confidence.
- Hook: Hanak H 400 BL Jig Hook – 14
- Hook Alternate: Fulling Mill 5045 Jig Force Barbless Hook – 14
- Bead: Fulling Mill Slotted Tungsten Beads – Silver Nickel – 3.2mm
- Bead Alternate: Firehole Stones Plated Slotted Tungsten Beads – 3.5mm (9/64″) – Sterling Silver
- Tail: Spanish Coq De Leon – Pardo
- Tail Alternate: Coq De Leon – Hareline – Medium Speckled Pardo
- Tag: Veevus Holographic Tinsel – Small – Red #3
- Tag Alternate: Veevus Holographic Tinsel – Small – Cranberry #15
- Body: Ringneck Pheasant Tail – Black
- Body Alternate: Nature’s Spirit Ringneck Pheasant Center Tails – Muskrat Gray
- Rib: UNI-Soft Wire – Small – Neon Silver
- Rib Alternate: Semperfli Tying Wire – 0.2 – Bright Silver
- Collar: Nature’s Spirit CDC – Dark Slate Dun
- Collar Alternate: Nature’s Spirit CDC – Medium Slate Dun
- Head: Ice Dub – Emerald Green
- Head Alternate: Ice Dub – UV Peacock Eye
Now you know how to tie the CDC French Jig!
Video and ingredients courtesy of Fly Fish Food.