Cover Image Courtesy of Svenddiesel.
Whether just getting started or a seasoned veteran, watching your homemade fly be slurped under the surface by a persnickety wild trout or sight casting your homemade velcro crab fly to a school of feisty bonefish creates a gratifying sense of satisfaction. No matter the species, the time and energy spent at the vise is well worth it when fish hit the net. Depending on the fly, certain details may be more challenging than others and may require additional equipment. We as fly fishermen are fortunate to have such a vast variety of vises to select from for our specific needs. Below, we at Flylords break down the top fly tying vises for all fly fishermen in today’s market.
Beginner Level Vises
Kicking things off, we have the Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit and Vise. If you are a beginner when it comes to tying flies, this is the kit for you! This kit offers a plethora of very useful items for beginning tiers looking to load up their fly box.
- A Hard Back Travel Case
- An Instructional DVD with Fly Tying Tutorials from Greg Vinci
- 16 Gunnison River Hooks ranging in size (8,12,14)
- A Super AA Fly Tying Vise with a C-Clamp Table Lock
- Hackle Pliers
- Hair Stacker
- A Bobbin
- A Bobbin Threader
- A Rotating Whip Finish Tool
Fly Tying Materials Include:
- Olive and Gray Rabbit Dubbing
- Medium Chenille
- Olive Marabou Feathers
- Grizzly and Brown Hackle
- Peacock Herl
- Pheasant Tail
- Elk Hair
- Black Thread, White Poly Yarn
- Fine Copper and Lead Wire
- A Jar of Head Cement
The Scientific Anglers Deluxe Fly Tying Kit and Vise will provide beginner and intermediate level anglers with the perfect set up to experiment with new fly patterns. Looking to start tying your own flies and don’t know where to begin? Look no further as this kit will give anglers a hands-on learning experience to a very addictive hobby.
Rotary fly tying vises offer a whole new world for avid fly tiers. While fixed angle vises get the job done, the 360-degree rotation allows anglers to add more intricate details leading to more realistic fish candy. The Griffin Odyssey Spider is the perfect vise for beginners looking for the rotary function.
- Lifetime Guarantee and 100% made in the USA
- Jaw Capacity of 28 to 4/0
- True 360-degree rotating vise
- Comes with C-Clamp attachment security
- Bobbin Cradle
- Entry Level price point
- Made from quality materials and made to last
The Griffin Odyssey Spider is the perfect entry-level vise that surely will not break the bank. The only minor drawback is versatility as this vise must be clamped to a tabletop. If you are looking for a quality rotary vise at an optimum price point, this is the vise for you. Grab your materials, pump out some flies, and hit the water!
Intermediate Level Fly Tying Vises
PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise – $154.95
For anglers who are a little further along in their tying capabilities, PEAK offers a sleek vise design that packs a punch. Designed for optimum tying efficiency, this vise offers a minimal design a consumer-friendly price point.
- Materials include stainless steel, brass, tool steel, and aircraft aluminum
- Hardened and tempered tool steel jaws hold hooks securely ranging in size from 2/0 to the smallest hooks available
- Large stable pedestal base holds the vise no matter where it is placed
- Surfaces are protected with non-marking feet
- The steel base is powder coated white for a nice backdrop to view materials easier
- The base includes hook and bead pockets for ease of removal
- Contains two accessory mounting holes (accessories not included)
Made of very high-quality materials and security, the PEAK Rotary vise is the perfect fit for any avid angler. Let’s be honest here, we all desire longevity in our equipment. PEAK eliminates that worry by giving anglers the opportunity to bugs and baitfish for a lifetime. In the market for a high-quality rotary vise? PEAK provides an excellent option for anglers looking to make their time behind the vise more productive.
Renzetti Traveler 2304 Cam Vise – $269.99
Maybe you consider yourself as more of an advanced fly tier and are looking for the vise to suit your needs. The Renzetti Traveler 2304 Cam Vise provides the ease and comfort of an intermediate/advanced fly tying vise. Built to last, this vise will elevate your tying capabilities leading to more success on the water.
- The jaws securely hold flies from size #28 to size 4/0
- Anodized aluminum for optimum durability
- A 6×6 base providing more stability and stem support
- A 7” stem
- Features an adjustable bobbin cradle, case hardened cam jaws, rotary tension screw, and a new and improved materials clip
Looking for durability and ease of use? The Renzetti Traveler Cam 2304 Vise is the choice for you. Now it’s time to grab your hooks, thread, and dubbing and put this vise to the test!
Advanced Level Fly Tying Vises
Regal Revolution Rotary Fly Tying Vise – $425.00
Advanced anglers enjoy spinning their thread with reliable products and Regal has provided that with the Revolution series. Captured by an unorthodox silhouette, the Regal Revolution can be characterized as the pinnacle of vise technology. Higher quality and detail leads to higher price points. This vise was meant for anglers who seek to tie detailed and advance patterns. This is the perfect vise for those who have a few more years of tying under the belt.
- The famous Regal clamp head design is known for ultimate hook holding power
- Capable of being rotated to wind materials on hooks
- Revolve around a 360-degree axis
- Articulate 220 degrees vertically
- A heavily weighted pocket base to holding materials
The Revolution series is know for its various styles and colors and is recommended for advanced tiers. Needless to say, anglers will never be disappointed with the quality and kindness to detail molded in each vise.
Norvise Standard Rotary Tying Vise – $395.00
Experienced fly tiers around the world are fixated on rotary functions in tying vises, some find this feature a necessity. Norvise has taken this function to the next level with the production of its revolutionary design. At first glance, you may question this vise but rest assured, it will pack a punch.
- With a perfect rotational centerline, the hook shanks are always aligned to center, eliminating hand wrapping
- Precision ball bearing technology and brass hubs provide a spinning wheel feel of fluidity
- Much faster and easier tying capabilities
- Anglers can work thread to form more uniform fly bodies
- Various configurations including standard inline jaws, large jaws, fine point jaws, and the tube fly system
- Comes standard with a thread post, mounting bolts, a hex wrench, and an instructional video
This highly sought after fly tying vise will optimize your time at the tying bench with a glimpse of impressive technological advancements. The never before seen spinning technology will leave anglers fully satisfied with their choice in tying vises. If you are an experienced fly tier looking for impressive design and feel, Norvise is the vise for you. Lock in your hook and spin your heart out, you won’t be disappointed!
In a Pinch?
Let’s be honest here, we can all recall a time where we could have used our fly tying vise out on the river. Who needs a fancy rotary vise to get the job done anyway? The world-famous Lefty Kreh took this mindset to heart, using a classic pair of vise grips attached to a post and platform! His frustration with traditional vises led him to this simple yet ingenious creation. The proof is in the pudding, a pair of vise-grips double as the perfect streamside emergency back up plan. So, do not hesitate to throw this handy tool in the trunk before your next fly fishing expedition.
No matter your experience level, today’s fly fishing industry provides a plethora of vise options for everyone. Now it’s time to find the vise that fits your comfort level, pump out some flies, and hit the water!
Written by Content Team Member Grant Michaels. Check out what he is up to here: @gemichaels.