Adventuring into newfound territory is exciting, but it can also be intimidating. Check out this video from the Huge Fly Fisherman for all the information you need to float a new river.
If you don’t have time for the full video, here’s the main points:
- Call or visit a fly shop.
- Assemble your crew (it’s helpful to have multiple people).
- Find a river that is suited to your abilities.
- Check weather conditions.
- Find access points.
- Set up your start and end point.
- Figure out your shuttle between your start and end point.
- Choose your float distance (7 miles is a generally an average distance for a float).
- Does the river have enough water to float? (this can change by seasons and conditions).
- Check for permits and use fees.
- Check for regulations.
- Check for private land and the protocol for access.
- Bring beverages and boat snacks.