Featured image from our friends at @blackflyeyes!
As technology continues to weave its way into our outdoor lifestyle, we find ourselves wearing or carrying it with us more and more. Smartwatches can be phenomenal tools when you are on the water, and this recent convert is completely sold on their usefulness. Before I made the jump into the smartwatch game, I was a tried and true Walmart Timex wearer, content with a watch that simply told time, but when my smartwatch arrived and I played with its featured, I realized how handy they truly are. My smartwatch allows me to leave my phone safely in a dry bag in my pack, while still allowing me to see notifications as they come in. The GPS features of these watches are key if you love backcountry fishing and need to navigate yourself back to your vehicle or camp. I’ve also used mine to track floats and river mileage. Either way, despite their price tags, I’m sure that once you add a smartwatch to your outdoors kit, you’re never going to take it off!
- Ultimate multisport GPS watch that estimates heart rate at the wrist and includes color Topo maps featuring trend line popularity routing to help you find and follow the best paths
- Wrist-based Pulse Ox Acclimation sensor, a non-medical device that provides awareness of your estimated blood oxygen saturation levels especially useful when you’re adjusting to higher altitudes.
- Fit for adventure with rugged design that features scratch-resistant domed sapphire lens plus stainless steel or diamond-like carbon (DLC) titanium bezel, and rear case
- Easily store and play up to 500 songs on your watch, and connect with Bluetooth headphones (sold separately) for phone-free listening
- Garmin Pay contactless payment solution (available for supported cards from participating banks) lets you make convenient payments with your watch, so you can leave your cash and cards at home
- Battery performance: Up to 20 days in smartwatch mode and 13 hours in GPS mode with music
- The Suunto Traverse Alpha features a rugged, knurled stainless steel bezel, durable water Repellent nylon strap, and a premium Scratch-resistant Sapphire Crystal glass
- Suunto automatic shot detection technology keeps Track of when and where you shoot, mapping the GPS coordinates of your location for later viewing
- GPS tracks your path, helping you find your way back using the automatic breadcrumb trail
- Location-based moon phase calendar with moonrise and moonset times helps you determine the best hunting and fishing times
- Suunto Traverse Alpha watches are handmade in Finland and have been tested against military standards (mil Std 810g)
Although the least durable of our collection, the Apple Watch still makes the list for its connectivity abilities and rich Retina display. The watch’s easy integration with any iPhone keeps things simple, and new apps are being developed every day to take this watch to the next level in the outdoors. Waterproof up to 50 meters, it can handle just about any amount of water you put it under while fishing. If you’re looking for a smartwatch you wear in the office and on the water, this is the perfect choice for you!
- An altimeter tracks your vertical movement, a barometer tells the Trend in air pressure, and a compass points the way
- Suunto core tracks both the weather and the sun for you; Operating temperature: 20° C to +60° C / 5° F to +140° F; Storage temperature: 30° C to +60° C / 22° F to +140° F
- A weather Trend graph and storm alarm along with preset sunrise/sunset times for over 400 locations help you stay safe and Plan your activities
- With stylish designs in more than a handful of variations, you are sure to find just the right Suunto core for your style
- Wrist top computer watch with altimeter, barometer, compass and weather indicator
- Altimeter displays current elevation, shows ascent or descent and records session
- Intelligent storm alarm senses drops in air pressure and notifies you of approaching storms
- Rugged GPS watch built to withstand the toughest environments
- Constructed to U.S. Military standard 810G for thermal, shock and water resistance (rated to 100 meters)
- Built-in 3 axis compass and barometric altimeter, plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) support helps track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Monitor your estimated heart rate, activity, and stress; train with preloaded activity profiles
- Stay connected with smart notifications (with a compatible smartphone) and automatic data uploads to the Garmin Connect online fitness community
- Use the Traceback feature to navigate the same route back to your starting point; Use the Garmin Explore website and app to plan your trips in advance
- Battery life: Up to 14 days in smartwatch mode, up to 16 hours in GPS mode, up to 40 hours in Ultratrac battery saver mode